What will be our indicators of success?
By 2025, in partnership with Catholic School Agencies, our ambition is to see:
- An increase in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander enrolments
- An increase in the overall retention of Aboriginal students
- An increase in the proportion of Aboriginal students making successful transitions to post-schooling pathways and into employment
- An increase in the proportion of Aboriginal students achieving the minimum national numeracy and literacy standard
- An increase in the proportion of Aboriginal students in the top two bands in all NAPLAN domains
- A decrease in the proportion of Aboriginal students in the bottom two bands in all NAPLAN domains
- Improved wellbeing outcomes of Aboriginal students
- An increased knowledge and understanding of the histories, cultures and experiences of Aboriginal people as the First Peoples of Australia
How will we do it?
We will ensure the active participation of Aboriginal peoples in our work, including through:
- The CSNSW Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Reference Group
- The inter-diocesan Mawambul Network
- The Council of Catholic School Parents Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Parent Committee (CCSP)
- The NSW Aboriginal Education Consultative Group (AECG)
We will work in close partnership with Catholic School Agencies and others including:
- NSW Department of Education (DoE)
- NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)
- Community organisations.
We will take a multidisciplinary and cross-functional approach involving all CSNSW teams, including:
- Educational Measurement
- Literacy and Numeracy
- Early Years Learning
- Vocational Education and Training
- Diverse Learning
- Teacher Accreditation and Professional Learning
- Schools Resources
- Data and Analytics
1 Vatican (1986). Address of John Paul II to the Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders in Blatherskite Park. Alice
Springs, 29 November 1986.
2 Catholic News Agency (2015).Pope Francissees’ powerful missionary potential’ in Philippines. January 12, 2015. Accessed 14 June 2020:https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-francis-sees-powerful-missionary-
3 Catholic News Service (2019). Take charge of your roots, culture, pope tells indigenous youths. 18 January 2019.
Accessed 14 June 2020: https://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2019/take-charge-of-your-roots-culture-pope-tells-indigenous-youths.cfm
4 COAG Education Council(2015). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Strategy. Accessed 14 June 2020: