Catholic Schools NSW manages the VET Teacher Training Program on behalf of the Catholic sector.
As the approved funding authority for the Australian Government’s Funded Program for Improving Outcomes for Vocational Education and Training in Schools, Catholic Schools New South Wales provides:
Support for the implementation of this program;
- Liaison with Catholic school systems, Department of Education NSW, Education Standards Authority (NESA), NSW Skills Board, Safework NSW and industry to support planning for and delivery of Vocational Education and Training to NSW Catholic schools;
- Coordination of Vocational Education teacher training programs; and
- Liaison with the Department of Education in Schools Directorate.
Industry Curriculum Information Guide (ICIG)
The Industry Curriculum Information Guide provides essential information necessary for schools to meet ATQF quality assurance requirements for VET delivery of NESA Industry Curriculum Framework courses delivered to Stage 6 and Stage 5 students.
The VET Teacher Training Program
- For all teachers seeking entry to VET training, please refer to the relevant ICIG to check entry benchmarks and training requirements. Please note applications must be submitted by all teachers, whether teaching in systemic schools or Congregational schools using Catholic Schools New South Wales’s Vocational Education application, which is available via Catholic Schools New South Wales’s NETiD portal.
- For teachers seeking either entry to training from outside the relevant benchmark, or exemption from components of a specific training program, supporting documentation required by the Registered Training Organisation must be included in your application. This includes:
- User Guides
Work Placement/Work Experience Insurance for 2022
Three separate policies provide work experience/placement cover for students, schools and employers involved in Work Experience and Work Placement activities.
- CCI Student Work Experience Personal Accident Policy or Schoolcare Policy (Each diocesan Catholic Schools Authority and Congregational school purchases these policies or equivalent)
- Ansvar Insurance Limited Work Experience/Work Placement Public Liability Insurance Policy (Catholic Schools New South Wales manages this policy on behalf of Diocesan Offices and RI/PJP subscribers).
- Ansvar Insurance Limited Professional Indemnity cover for Sports Coaching, Sports Fitness, Outdoor Recreation and Healthcare Assistants.
The Catholic Schools NSW Work Experience/Placement Insurance Summary and Certificate of Currency lists the terms and conditions of insurance cover including activities which are excluded or that require special approval during work placement.
The VERO Certificate of Currency for Professional Indemnity cover applies until 31 March 2023.
Special approval is required for placements involving animal handling. Details are included in Work Placement/Experience Involving Animal Handling (Memo Ref: 08/14)
This summary provides only a general overview of available insurance cover; it does not represent legal advice. For precise advice, please consult the relevant Insurance Policy Documents or contact Joanne Hack, Head, Curriculum & Assessment.
School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBAT)
School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBAT) provide students with the opportunity to attain a nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification as well as their Higher School Certificate (HSC) whilst also gaining valuable work skills and experience through paid employment.
The SBAT Guidelines set out the requirements for the implementation of school based apprenticeships and traineeships in NSW. The School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships webpage hosted by the Department of Education provides valuable information for schools, students and parents. This includes:
The VET Noticeboard is designed to be a one-stop-shop for teachers and providers of the Industry Curriculum Frameworks and VET Board Endorsed Courses. It provides up-to-date details on teacher training due tasks and compliance matters.
VET Diocesan Contacts
Armidale Catholic Schools Office
Armidale NSW 2350
Bathurst Catholic Education Office
Bathurst NSW 2795
Catholic Schools Broken Bay
Pennant Hills NSW 1715
Canberra/Goulburn Catholic Education Office
Manuka ACT 2603
Lismore Catholic Education Office
Lismore NSW 2480
Maitland/Newcastle Catholic Schools Office
Newcastle NSW 2300
Parramatta Catholic Education Office
North Parramatta NSW 1750
Sydney Catholic Schools
World Square NSW 2002
Wagga Wagga Catholic Schools Office
Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
Wollongong Catholic Education Office
Wollongong NSW 2500